Today, we managed to get out the first release of Maliit as an independent project. As far as possible without API break, we started to use our own Maliit naming convention for installation paths, library names, etc.
During that cleanup, Jan Arne did a tremendous job improving our build infrastructure. Instead of Qt’s .prf files, Maliit now uses pkg-config everywhere. Plugin developers don’t have to think about install paths – they can simply read it from the .pc files, for instance:
pkg-config --variable pluginsdir maliit-plugins-0.80
The version number at the end indicates another nice improvement: versioned libraries and plugin interfaces, which means several Maliit versions can be installed in parallel (although you never want to run more than one server per session).
To install the Maliit framework into a custom directory (say, $HOME/install), simply use:
qmake -r M_IM_PREFIX=$HOME/install
Afterwards, set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH to $HOME/install/lib/pkgconfig and compile the Maliit plugins. Quite honestly, it has never been easier to develop input methods for Maliit than with this release.