I previously shared an easy guide to install .deb files on the Nokia N900 using Red Pill mode, but that functionality has been removed on the latest firmware updates. Another method to install .deb files requires using X Terminal, but it could be overwhelming at first. I think I understand it better now, so here’s a guide to help you install those files on the Nokia N900, too.
Before you continue, use common sense and only install .deb files from trusted sources! Some developers provide these type of files for users to test their applications. In this guide, coder Chris Burris allowed me to use his upcoming FourSquare app dubbed BarrioSquare as an example. Check out the BarrioSquare group page to join the testing.
Let me first show you how I downloaded the .deb files. I simply clicked on the download link from a webpage and the browser asked where I want to save it to. I chose the default, which says, Location: Nokia N900.
Browser asks to download the .deb file
Browser asks where to save the file
1. First, install rootsh to enable root access.
2. Open X Terminal on the Nokia N900, type sudo gainroot and press enter. This will not work if you skipped the first step.
3. I find it easier to go into the same folder where the .deb is located. The cd TheNameOfDirectoryHere command changes your location to that directory. Therefore, if you downloaded the file in the default folder, type cd MyDocs
4. Check if the .deb file is in your current folder by typing ls. This command lists the contents of your current folder. You know you’re in the right folder if you see the .deb file on the list.
5. Now that we’re in the same folder as the .deb file, we can install it using the command dpkg -i TheNameOfFileHere.deb
6. That’s it! That’s how you install .deb files on the Nokia N900. You should also note that some .deb files (like BarrioSquare) will not install without other files preinstalled. These are called dependencies. Read developers’ full instructions to see whether dependencies are needed.
If you enjoyed this article, you might also like…
- How to Tether Nokia N900 To Mac OS X Snow Leopard Via Bluetooth
- How To View Ovi Store Content For Nokia N900 From Your Desktop Computer
- Video How to: Install .deb Files on Nokia N900
- Nokia N900 Tip: Use Backspace To Go Previous Page on Web Browser Faster