Nokia 3D World Gaze now available for Nokia N9
Nokia Beta Labs have released an application called “Nokia 3D World Gaze” that gives the user an augmented reality view of the world. It “gives you a new kind of viewpoint to the world, allowing you to see through the surface (and insides) of the planet all the way to the other side. Just point your phone to some direction and you will see reality in a way you have never seen before. In addition to geographical features such as continents in their real physical locations, Nokia 3D World Gaze allows you to see geotagged media, day and night regions, current location of the Sun, and other content from locations around the world.” Your editor has made no secret of his desire to have an augmented reality application and this seems like a good one. Compass calibration can be tedious but seems to be effective, although it seems to have stopped picking up the compass earlier today. It is nice to have the early preview from Beta Labs, but don't expect it to be completely free of bugs.
Harmattan target for Qt SDK updated, no longer “experimental”
With the release of Qt SDK 1.1.4 the Harmattan targets have been updated and don't have to be enabled through the experimental section of the updater. “The other very visible change is the evolution to a single unified sysroot. From now on there is no tools-level distinction between the Platform API and its more productized subset. Now there's just a single target (with debug and release flavours of the build).” Apparently the SDK does not currently work in Ubuntu 11.10, so don't be surprised if you have trouble in the latest Ubuntu release.
In this edition (Download)…
- Front Page
- Nokia 3D World Gaze now available for Nokia N9
- Harmattan target for Qt SDK updated, no longer “experimental”
- eBuddy XMS (like WhatsApp) beta for N9 launching soon
- Nokia Internet Radio for N9
- New maintainer wanted for Maemo versions of Conboy
- Best practices for Qt Quick: property bindings
- Best practices for region-specific functionality, e.g. disabling YouTube features in China
- eCards for Harmattan
- New stuff for creating/editing virtual keyboards on N900
- First alpha version of Conboy for Harmattan