Nokia N9 and N950 phones announced, running “MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan”
As you'll probably be aware, on Tuesday Nokia launched Harmattan into the world. From the Nokia Connection event in Singapore, a decent presentation and coordinated online presence swung into action. The reaction to this touch-focused, slickly designed device has been overwhelming positive, leading several – including Engadget – to question the wisdom of Nokia's move away from MeeGo to concentrate on Windows Phone 7 smartphones.
“The team behind the MeeGo-based Nokia N9 brought together elements of industrial design, software development and user interface advancements, as well as a developer platform to create a better way to use a phone. All that’s needed to use the Nokia N9 is a simple gesture, a swipe of the finger. It is an intuitive way to use all the different features and functions. Whenever you are in an application, you just swipe from the edge of the screen to go back home.”
This issue is, obviously, very N9 focused – and there's been a lot of news and discussion this week. We're going to highlight what we think are the stand-out items, to reduce the volume to the things we think you should read.
MeeGo 1.2 Community Edition for N900 “Summer Edition” released
With a one day delay for last minute fixes, the widely anticipated second release of the MeeGo Community Edition for the N900 was released. Jukka Eklund announced the release, saying that the “good news is that we made it! We set our targets as “Faster and fancier. More applications, better settings.” and we delivered on that. You can see the improvement eg. in application start-up time and overall performance. There are more applications carefully selected, for example some of the new MeeGo UX-based ones, new cool Terminal, Package management, IRC, and MeeGo Extras apps client. And a new game :)” A few further bugs have been found, so there'll be an update posted next week.
In this edition (Download)…
- Front Page
- Nokia N9 and N950 phones announced, running “MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan”
- MeeGo 1.2 Community Edition for N900 “Summer Edition” released
- Continually updated wallpaper for your N900
- Nokia porting Qt Quick Components to Ubuntu, Maemo & MeeGo
- Information on N9 Open Source Developer Device Programme
- Reporting Harmattan development system bugs
- …and 5 more
- Testing community apps for MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan
- Concerned about N9 availability in your country?
- Future Harmattan release may have homescreen folders
- N9 Camera in-depth
- …and 3 more
- In the Wild
- A Nokian’s argument with Stephen Elop
- “We Want Nokia To Keep MeeGo” petition
- Quim Gil’s thoughts on future MeeGo devices from Nokia
- Enhanced N900 lock screen