Chronology of a success story (please contribute dates missing):
- Jan 2010 – kojacker joins maemo.org.
- Feb 16th – First Talk post (no firmware update for Vodafone UK).
- May 4th – First Talk thread started: Any interest in a friendly Maemo app development ‘competition’?
May 19th – He goes for it: [ANNOUNCE] The First N900 Coding Competition! 21st May-21st July. Open to all!
- May 20 – Cosimo Kroll (aka zehjotkah) proposes that Nokia could fund prices for the winners (and contacts me).
- May 21 – Prizes agreed: “the winner of each category will be invited to the MeeGo Conference with travel and accommodation covered. If someone can’t make it then we can offer an N900 in exchange.”
- zehjotkah opens a PayPal account to pool donations.
- July ?? – A new category for beginners is created on the fly based on popular demand. 17 projects apply.
- July 22nd – 65 projects registered and ready to be voted in 6 + 1 categories.
- August 8th – The community has raised a bounty collection of €781 ($1019) to reward the 2nd, 3rd and 4th participants in each category.
- August 9th – Winners announced! (see screenshots & more)
1. Queen Beecon Widget by Alessandro Peralma (No!No!No!Yes!) (Desktop category)
2. CloudGPS by Damian Waradzyn (dwaradzyn) (Location & Navigation category)
3. Faster Application Manager by Heikki Holstila (hqh) (System & Utilities category)
4. PSX4M by Tomasz Sterna (smoku) (Games category)
5. PenPen Sketchbook by Ben Lau (benlau) (Graphics & Multimedia category)
6. TweeGo by Mikhail Ramalho (mikhail_ramalho) and Rodrigo Avelino (rodavelino) (‘Other’ category)
7. DropN900 by Jonne Nauha ( jonnenau) (Beginners category)
Congratulations for the winners and everybody involved. *You* are making a difference with initiatives like this. See you in Dublin!