Day 1 for the MeeGo UI is here and with that comes a ‘developer preview’ of how the OS is shaping up. There are a bunch of screenshots available on the official MeeGo website but if you are feeling adventurous, there is a N900 version you can play with. The current release comes with a dialer, sms, photo viewer, browser, and personal connection management applications. These apps are a works in progress, and the MeeGo UI is no where near ready for mainstream adoption yet.
The idea behind MeeGo 1.0 for handsets is to give everyone an idea of how the MeeGo 1.1 release (due in October) is shaping up. The release is not bug free and here is a list of some workarounds to those issues. The MeeGo team has also published a video showing off the UI, take a look for yourself and let us know what you think? A nice mashup of the best from the popular platforms with some bonus features?
I will reserve judgment till I play with it on my N900, it is also worthy to note that Nokia’s next Nseries will probably not look very similar to the UI we’re seeing above. Although they do have a tendency to keep most most of its as they are usually the ones who’ve worked the most on it. (Symbian for example, the other manufactures have their UI layers)
So what do you think of the MeeGo 1.1 developer release?If you enjoyed this, you might also like:
- MeeGo 1.0 Is Here, Even For The N900 – Although Nokia Will Not Be Officially Supporting It
- Opera Mobile 10 Comes To Maemo
- FireFox 1.1 For Maemo Coming In May (Beta Tomorrow) – Will Bring A Ton Of New Features
- Huge: Nokia’s Maemo & Intel’s Moblin Combine To Become Meego
- The N900 PR 1.2 Firmware Gets Leaked (Release Candidate) – Changes With Screenshots Inside